Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Visas Approved

We received notification this morning that our Visa applications have been approved! Brett said he had to submit over 60 pages for our applications and spent nearly 10 hours putting the package together. Everything from pay stubs to marriage license to copies of our college degrees. Now I just need to finish my resume and start looking for jobs in London- anyone looking for a financial analyst?!

We packed up most of our unnecessary kitchen items and sent them home to Cincinnati with Brett's sister during her visit last weekend. The last time I posted I had mentioned that we had to find a one month sublease and move into a new apartment through the end of September. Thankfully we found a pretty cheap apartment, discounted by a woman who had recently purchased a house and was looking for someone to cover the remainder of her lease. 

We will save $500 in rent at the new place, which will virtually pay for our movers. We currently live on the fourth floor of a building with no elevator. It took an hour to get our couch up the stairs, hopefully these movers will be more efficient!
Last week was very reminiscent of fall, cool mornings, warm afternoons and sleeping with the windows open.  I'm beginning to get pretty sad that I won't be here to enjoy the beautiful fall weather. I love lazy October Sundays spent watching football on the couch as the cool breeze blows through the window. Curled up with a blanket and a craft beer doing more sleeping than actually watching the games. I love the orange, red and yellow trees, and every year pick a new favorite tree that I admire and take way to many pictures. They probably have trees in London too, and instead of football they have futbol, but what about my pumpkin spiced lattes or lets not forget thanksgiving!!

Thankfully some of our best friends (he plays professional volleyball and she makes the best crepes in the world) live in Belgium and are only a short train ride away for when we need a taste of home. Or maybe just an excuse to make a pecan pie or sweet potato casserole.

Also, I wonder if our train conductors will be as pleasant as they are in Chicago. I was typing this post while riding the train into work and the train conductor told me he loved me! Well in he actually came on the speakers and said, "Have a wonderful day, I love you too", but I took it personally!

I have a lot of anxiety building in life right now, but am trying to just tackle each item one at a time. Some people like to run, work out or maybe even drink (eek) in order to reduce their anxiety, but for me, cooking is my therapy. Last night my mind was running at 100 mph (or should I say kph) and I just needed to relax and stop thinking about things I have no control over. So with an empty apartment, I spent the next hour and a half making a delicious chicken pot pie, equipped with a homemade cheesy biscuit crust. It was the perfect way to settle my nerves.



What is your favorite fall activity?

What do you do to reduce stress in your life?!



<3 Mary



7 comments:

  1. First of all, the pie looks delish. AND I'm going to try to get over my Joey like initial reactions to all talk about you moving across the pond.

    I'm sure you will find something in London to take too many pictures of on days when it isn't raining! Will you be able to snapchat from London? That's the next think you need Brett to research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, babes! Someday we will live in the same city and I'll be able to cook for you!

      And I doubt Snapchat will work over there- that just means I'll have to send permanent selfies via email! But I'll research it!

      Delete
  2. OMG no snapchat?!?! i think my heart just completely broke in half. email selfies sound so much more permanent!

    i think letting go of everything you can't change and just going with the flow will free you up to really enjoy the whole experience... and make a bajillion delicious meals! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome! I'm so happy I found your blog - I want to move to London in a few years :) Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you found my blog, Charlotte! I'll definitely be following you back!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I'm a little confused - do you not live in London yet? Why are you moving there?

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isa, Actually we are preparing to move to London! We have our one-way flights booked for October 13th. Mainly I have been posting about the struggles in moving abroad such as obtaining visas and packing up our belonging, but once we land in London, I will be posting more on our travels and the adventures of living in London! Hope you follow along!

      Delete